Skip to content

Quality Advice Quality Service

Show / hide the search form Menu

Are you new to self-assessment for the 2022 / 23 tax year?

Then you need to register with HMRC by 5 October or face penalties.

Anyone who is self-employed is required to file a self-assessment return, whether they are a sole trader or in partnership. This includes people who work in the gig economy or have a second income from trading on eBay and similar websites, earn money as influencers and from advertising on social media channels.

New self-assessment taxpayers could be someone who has set up a side hustle to earn money in addition to their PAYE job; disposed of crypto assets; become newly self-employed or a landlord renting out property for the first time. Likewise, anyone receiving income from renting out property through sites like Airbnb needs to file a tax return if their earnings exceed £1,000.
Whatever your circumstances, if you are a taxpayer with any income that you have not already paid UK tax on, you need to register for self-assessment.

If you would like more help with self-assessment or if you have any worries or concerns about an HMRC tax enquiry, please get in touch.

Back to News and Events

News and Events

Companies House Fee Increase

From 1 May 2024 it has been confirmed that Companies House are increasing their fees. Companies House fees are often…

Global Market Commentary – 2 February 2024

A Steady Start to 2024 -
The year has begun on a tentative footing following the excesses of November and December, when asset prices galloped higher. Investors have paused to reflect on the ‘wall of worry’ that is said to accompany most bull markets. 

National Apprenticeship Week: 5 – 11 February


Bank of England – Business Update

13 February 2024